Monday, January 12, 2009

Back on Track


















     We enjoyed a wonderful Christmas Holiday. It kicked off with our friends; Trevor and Anna May Emond joining us from Indiana. We made Mexican food, they went to the Alamo, watched movies, played games, and enjoyed many conversations. They left Friday after Christmas leaving us to catch up on laundry and eat too many leftovers.

Saturday we opened presents as a family. Our girls received Lee Middleton dolls this year and accessories to go with them. I was totally against the idea of more dolls at first, but honestly I think the Lord began to soften my heart to the idea via a catalog we received in the mail. In there I saw pictures of girls up to the age of 13 or so playing with dolls, frilly dresses with tea parties, books that encouraged girls to be ladies, and articles on conflicting with modern day culture. After reading several of their articles and then hearing a sermon from Brother Ed Byskal, praying, and pondering I concluded the following:

In today's society children are taught they can be anything they want to be. Which is a good thought. However it lacks the balance of PROVERBS 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  

TITUS 2:3-5 "The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;  That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."
(It may help to read those with a dictionary on hand.)

As I walked the toy isles this year I found dolls that suggested sensuality and immodesty. Puppy dogs in purses or strollers and everything to go with them, video games for the three year old, and mini versions of everything electronic designed to "babysit" the mind.  But hey it's just a toy right? Maybe the question is "who or what is doing the training?"

In today's society I find the values and morals that we are given in the Word of God are challenged in every possible form.  Girls are no longer taught to be ladies. I am making a statement here that there IS a difference between a woman and a lady- and I'm not talking royalty here. They are taught they can do anything a man can. If you stay at home to be a mommy, you are missing out, tied down, and suppressed. Don't marry: enjoy the variety, birth control, if you got it flaunt it and puppies in purses- which only suppresses the natural desire and instinct God placed in them to be mothers! Boys are taught to get in touch with their feminine side and if they don't know how to do something, ask the girl next door. What ever happened to "Let men be men and ladies be ladies"? Ask society. Better yet ask google.

I'm not saying girls stay at home, and learn nothing other than how to turn on a stove or vacuum. I am saying there is a balance and we've lost it. I suppose this is all very opinionated, and close minded. But then I suppose also that would have to depend on your absolute. I know Who mine is, and what I am teaching my girls it is. Next question..... Whats yours?





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in total agreement with your statements. It is a shame that our society or culture has degraded to such a position. This only becomes a true and undeniable sign of the end. Some can not take the degradation of human character or the failing of the financial markets as a sign nor the upheaval of nature. It remains: let the one that has an hear to hear hear what the Spirit has to say to the Church.

Anna May said...

Amen sister!! you said it...im in total agreement!

Bro Trevor said...

Boom!

Anonymous said...

Whole hearted agreement! Mine comes from the opposite side of having mostly boys. THEY will be taught to be gentlemen!! Are rear find in today's society! They will treat ladies with kindness as they are being trained to treat their sister and mother in that fashion. And then of course it is heard around our house "is that how a lady acts??" And yes there is a BIG difference between a lady and a woman. I intend to join forces with the other out there that train our boys to be MEN and our girls to be LADIES!!

Anonymous said...

Good good! I am strongly for men and women finding their correct balanced places!!!

~AnnaB~ said...

Thanks.