Monday, August 25, 2008

And We're Off!




It has arrived, the first day of school. Excitement and Addi's cry filled the air. Literally. It was a bit of a rough start but as scheduled Addi fell asleep for her morning nap and we were off on our learning adventures. We began our day with Philippians 4:13; reminding the girls that nothing is too difficult.

We started with Handwriting without Tears- I'm not sure if they mean the kids or mine but either way it works. Then Hope started English while Tori watched Leap Frogs 'Letter factory'. She learned that every letter makes its own exciting sound- but the letter of the week is of course "A a".

Next came Math. Hope is finishing up Primer and tomorrow will start her Alpha book. I am hoping to get her though Alpha and onto Beta this year. She had a hard time grasping so many things last year I decided to take a new approach go back and make sure she understood everything before we moved on to anything new. We decided on the Math U See curriculum. I think I am really going to like it.

Tori is in Primer. I am surprised at how quickly she seems to pick things up. I actually had to tell her she couldn't do anymore today. Thank goodness for crayons, and chalk, and markers, and puzzles, and books.

Then Daddy came home for lunch and we took a break. Addi cried, Hope ate, and Tori asked if it was time for school again yet. I drank coffee.

We came back for discovery and reading time. Discovery is my idea of science and history combined. I have high hopes for this time of blessed exploration of Gods Wonderful Creation and of course Mans existence in it.

Overall it went great. I even got the beds made. Hope says this was her best first day ever (shes had a lot you know). Tori says - "Good." I suppose being that God summed his work up with the same word -I did okay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Hope and Tori Grandma and I enjoyed reading about your first day of School 2008. We are so very proud of you both. It is easy to see that Hope is going to soar through her school work like lightning through the dark sky in a thunder storm. Slow down a little bit and enjoy each subject. Your doing so well and you don't want to burn out before spring. And Miss Tori we can see you are also a go getter. You sure are going to enjoy all the things in those books and the learning materials. I sure like the way you start out with the scriptures. Keeping our Lord in first place will always put you ahead of everyone else. The Lord Bless you both. So much to learn, and so little time to learn in. With a Daddy and a Mommy like yours you both will surely go far. We will be looking forward to your updates. Thankyou both for sharing your learning days with us.

Jeni said...

coffee indeed...is a essential part of any day.

Glad to hear you girls are enjoying school! ...it sounds so fun maybe i should do it...

love you both very very much! Hope tomorrow's school is even better!

A is for Awesome Aunt by the way