Thursday, September 24, 2009

Week 4


I can hardly believe we've been in school four weeks already! It is going very fast. We've had to make a few adjustments along the way, but things are going very well.

We are in the middle of our "Liberty's Kids" series and are truly enjoying them. Joe has been watching them in the evenings so he can keep up. I am also watching PBS's "Liberty" and History Channels "Revolutionary War" documentaries. There is so much I don't remember, so I wanted to brush up a bit.

I would so love to take the girl's to see all the things we are learning about. They are very excited to be recognizing things and people. Each time George Washington makes an appearance, Tori exclaims, "He was a very, very tall man." It's amusing that of all the things I tried to emphasize, that struck her the most.

We are doing a lot of review in Phonics and Math.... I purchased a game called "Math Whiz" from Amazon. It's a little handheld electronic version of flash cards. I wasn't too sure before I purchased it, but I have been very impressed. Hope played with it over the weekend and decreased her time by an average of 5-7 seconds. MathWhiz

Tori is doing extremely well in everything! She is reading level one books with ease so I moved her on to level two. I am very pleased with her progress. Hope is now reading the American Girl series "Felicity". We are trying to encourage her to read more, not that she doesn't enjoy it, it's just making time for it. I'm trying to have her read a chapter a day aloud, but Joe suggested an incentive perhaps. We're still working on that one.

Next week we go to Florida for the wedding. The girls are pretty excited and curious as to what all a wedding entails. I'm glad they seem willing to do most anything to make Aunt Jeni happy. I suggested they wear their hair curled for the wedding and may have to sleep on curlers. When asked if they could do that for a night for Aunt Jeni Tori jumped and excitedly replied, "I can sleep on curlers two nights!"

We are doing well and hope you all are too. Happy fall.... before you know it the holidays will be here!

1 comment:

Lost in FWA said...

School sounds like it's going good! Keep up the good work girls (and Mommy!) =D

Sleep on curlers two nights, huh? LOL! Pretty cute!

-Aunt Laura-